Thursday, January 15, 2009

Recent pottery pieces

I finally took some photographs of my second batch of work from Suze Lindsay's dlass. Some of the pieces were salt-fired, and others didn't make it into the salt kiln. We ran out of room, so I glazed some with Malcolm's Shino and they were fired in the gas kiln. The results were surprisingly similar to what came out of the salt-firing.

I've posted pictures of all the work on my picasa site. I've also uploaded pictures of the instructor, Terry Gess, doing demonstrations.

I came up with a pretty nifty method of utilizing some naturally diffused light for my photo shoot. We have a skylight over our bed, so I put the pottery on a large white piece of poster board under the skylight and shot the picturese without a flash. I think they look fairly decent. At least there's no distracting background.

Here are a few examples:


These are 3 faceted pieces I did that were inspired by Davie Reneau, a woman I wood-fired with over the summer....



This is an altered, oval vase that was thrown in to sections, then pieced together, inspired by Suze Lindsay...



These are "Noodle Bowls" that are designed to hold a set of chopsticks.....



I'm looking forward to firing the pots from the second session I'm taking with Terry Gess. I'm hoping to refine my brush working skills and also to develop some forms and throwing methods that are more representative of my own personal style.

I'm beginning to feel more confident about my abilities at the wheel and I'm beginning to recognize particular forms and methods that I enjoy utilizing. Even though I know that every aspect of my work has been influenced by potters I've watched or pieces I've admired, I feel as though I'm beginning to be able to incorporate the various influences into a body of work that I can call my own.

I'm feeling very enthusiastic about the next batch of pots that will be fired in the upcoming weeks!! I feel like I'm on a creative roll right now and whenever I leave the studio, I feel extremely........ satisfied. There is so much inspiration down here, it's wonderful!

2 comments:

dc said...

Those are really cool!

C S Poppenga said...

Wow! Such beautiful pottery! I haven't read the rest of your blog, but will return later when more time is available. Meanwhile, I just have to say thank you for posting such a visual treat!
-Carol
https://www.poppenga.com
https://www.poppenga.blogspot.com