Thursday, March 12, 2009

A busy week!

I just can't get over how quickly the time passes. Here it is almost the middle of March!!

First, I should mention that the Baby Shower/Reception in Indianapolis for Megan and Dustin seemed to be a success. We were so happy to see family and friends that we haven't seen for awhile. There was a good turn-out, Steve's whole family made it!! We got to visit with everyone and even play a few hands of Peanuts, what more could we w
ant?

Also, besides new baby congratulations to Dustin and Megan, we have to congratulate Dustin for getting accepted onto Pike Twp's Fire Department. He starts trainin
g in a few short weeks. He's going to have his hands full with a new baby and a new job!

Here's a couple of pictures from the shower (and I promise not to hold animosity against Curt for dropping my crock pot full of weenies! I'm just glad no one was injured!!)


The Shower Cake......

Another shower cake.......

Dustin's ready to eat some of that cake!!
I like all of Steve's family in the reflection of this one!

After a fun week-end with friends and family we came back to Asheville and met up with our geocaching friends, the Flip/Flop Girlz from Cincy. They decided to pay us a visit while Jan is recovering from double knee replacement. She seems to be healing pretty quickly because we went hiking with them at Chimney Rock and also broke a record for the number of geocaches we've found in one day on our drive back from Chimney Rock with the help of the Girlz!! It was an exhausting, but fun day!!


Here are the 4 of us on Chimeny Rock using the timer on my camera!

I took this one from the observation deck above Chimney Rock...the little specks are Karen, Jan, and Steve!! That's Lake Lure in the background.
After spending the morning site-seeing, we geocached the whole way home and managed to snag almost 30 caches along the way. Up until then, our record for one day had been 7!! The Flip/Flop Girlz have found over 2,500 caches and were willing to share their expertise with us rookies!!

Yesterday, Jan, Karen, and I visited Thomas Wolfe's family home. Wolfe was an author in the early 1900s who wrote an autobiographical novel about growing up in Asheville. It's called Look Homeward Angel. I read part of it when we first arrived down here but hadn't finished it. His family was rather dysfunctional and it got to be a little depressing! HIs mother owned and ran a boarding house downtown for many years and that home is now a museum dedicated to Thomas Wolfe. After our visit, we managed to find a few more caches too!

Earlier in the week we unloaded the salt-kiln at the Odyssey Center. It was an excellent firing!! I wish they had been able to fit more of my work in the kiln, but I had to share space with the other students! To see pictures of most of the work, visit my picasa site.

Here are a couple pictures of my favorite pieces! This has certainly been a wonderful opportunity for me to improve my pottery skills and learn about new glazing and firing methods!! The experience has been UN-believable and I'm so thankful that we were able to live this life for the past 12 months!!!



This is a lidded, oval shaped box I made for Steve to charge his R/C helicopter batteries in. It has a hole in the back for the cord to hang out of. I put fish on it to make it more manly than my pieces with leaves.....



This is an oval shaped platter that I put a horse figure on with black slip. I was pretty pleased with the result!

2 comments:

Mona Lake said...

Absolutely beautiful work!

Loretta said...

Thanks for the encouraging comment! I've fallen a little behind in my blog maintenance. I did check out your blog at one point. I like your writing style and the way your photos leave much to the imagination. (Nice gams too! As a woman with flat feet and cankles, I have to admit I'm jealous!) Did we ever meet at the Odyssey Center? I'm terrible at remembering names. I see you're into clay, but I don't think I've come across any pictures of your work. Would love to see some!